Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Follies Bazaar - Right to Little Rest

Curiosity struck when I realized that this above average comp from URI had not a single artist credited on the label and a suspiciously blank back jacket. Having spun it last month as winter settled, I figured others might appreciate that kind of Northeasterly hypnosis which the LP speaks to perfectly. Daydreaming, stoned, lodged in the snow... indeed, there are many excellent tracks here, and while maybe not quite as atmospheric as Take Flight - I find myself coming back to this one... easily the better end of the Follies Bazaar series, a collective at URI which issued an annual student music sampler well into the 80s. If wintry folk explorations and jammy lo-fi Deadhead pirouettes aren't your bag, you at least have to needledrop the astounding, "Am I Not the One," a perfect slab of (even then) retrospective Ballroom psychedelia... Like everyone else, this highlight goes uncredited, and so I must leave it to the foggy mists of the Rhode Island Sound to give us any clues... Anyways - enjoy, and talk soon!








Am I Not the One

12 comments:

  1. hi
    thank you very much for, sharing this very obscure and rare album
    i've been looking for it for quite a time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get this one ! Great cover art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been alerted that the artist list is actually on an insert that I either don't have or is shoved into the jacket of my copy... I'll take a look for it after I get back from the holidaze... or alternately a friend has offered to scan his if mine doesn't materialize. Mystery (sort of) solved...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting! I have dug up the 10th anniversary Follies Baazar at a thrift and the Rhode Island is the World Follies Baazar which my friend found in his uncles collection (he attended URI) and traded to me. How did you come by this record?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i play on this one

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who are you? Drop me a line: hobbes@wcvt.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, i am a long time follies artist. first recorded on THE RIGHT OF LITTLE REST, next year, reappeared on THE STAR CHAMBER SUITE, back by, pop demand, on RHODE ISLAND IS THE UNIVERSE, a curtain call on NO TIME FOR MUSIC, which i also produced. peace. t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tom -- I'd like to get ahold of some copies of the other records in the series, and am looking for some in the Perspective series as well. Please drop me a line if you can help... hobbes@wcvt.com

    Best, J

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fond memories of URI and the No Time and Dressed to Thrill Follies Bazaar, Greg's great guitar playing, and the TomCats antics at various campus and "down the line" parties. Joe College's special substances...Long time ago but those were some amazingly good times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!!! Write tracklist for this CD please. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This isn't there anymore. Can anyone re-post? Or is there a reissue that can be bought?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you please upload again? Would love to have this one.

    ReplyDelete